Saturday, February 27, 2010

Brush or Roller for Painting Chair and Crown Moulding ... ?

Is it best to use a brush or a roller for painting mouldings? I plan to paint the crown moulding and chair rail before it is placed on the wall and then touch it up since the walls and ceiling have already been painted. Is there a specific roller or brush that will allow me to sweep across the mouldings quickly? I figured a brush could work, but I thought perhaps a roller would be a lot faster and wouldn't show the same streaks.Brush or Roller for Painting Chair and Crown Moulding ... ?
The way I paint moulding (not installed), is to run a 4 inch roller down the length of them to get the paint on and then run the brush down it to even it out. This works great on raised panel doors, too. The most time wasted comes from dipping the brush every couple of seconds to get the paint on the wood.Brush or Roller for Painting Chair and Crown Moulding ... ?
Brush
When I installed my crown moulding, I had my painters shoot it with their sprayer. Nice, even coating. However, on other moulding, I used a good angle brush. Good luck!
I work for Benjamin Moore Co. If the molding is wood , I would recommend that you use a good to high quality brush. Use a high bonding primer that also has stain blocking properties properties if the wood has been previously stained and sealed with a clear finish. If it is new use a high quality primer recommended for bare wood. Apply two coats of a high quality paint preferable a Satin or Semi-gloss finish. Benjamin Moores' Waterborne Satin Impervo looks great and levels very well. It is available in white and light to medium depth colors. If you have more questions you may email me.
you should use a good quality brush to suit the paint your using. a foam roller works well and saves times also but if you haven't installed them yet a would suggest a brush for a more quality and uniforn finish
Use a brush to paint, then lightly sand between coats.
i would use a brush
Two or three coats, Brush first to get in to the cracks and a roller for the top coat to smooth it all out.
brush for corners and tight places roller for the big spots

No comments:

Post a Comment