Thursday, February 25, 2010

Painting rooms in house, ideas on paint and brushes and rollers?

My regular painter was supposed to come around Thanksgiving, still isn't returning calls, so I decided to attempt this on my own.





I normally go to Sherwan Williams, but their hours are not convenient for me and I usually get home too late and have to wait for weekend, we have a new lowes store, so I thought I would try it there. Definitely don't want to do wal-mart or kmart.





Is Lowe's going to offer a good paint? I believe they said Valspar is the best. They said that Martha, Eddie Bauer, etc. was not better you were just paying for the name.





Also, how do I make sure I am getting good brushes and rollers that I won't regret it later?





I've seen the rollers where you can put paint in the handle, do those work or save time or anything?








thanks so much!Painting rooms in house, ideas on paint and brushes and rollers?
ive definately bought my share of paint from these places.


i like olympic from lowes. i dont care for behr at home depot and you are paying for the name. yes, you are paying for the name for martha and whatnot.


advice on brushes: SPEND MONEY on them... i always used to buy crappy cheap ones and spending $15 on a GOOD angle brush makes SUCH a difference in cutting in edges O-M-G! Wash them immediately after using and you will see they last you so long. The rollers I havent spent a lot on but i still havent found a good one yet. not sure i would waste money on the one filled with paint. I do like the smaller rollers too..they are really nice for cutting close and doing small areas.Painting rooms in house, ideas on paint and brushes and rollers?
I would suggest either Benjamin Moore paint or the Home Depot brand Behr...both are very good paints. I have used Sherman Williams (ever-clean) and its garbage..I have not tried Lowe's brand. Go with a flat or eggshell finish...it hides imperfections better. As far as brushes and rollers it depend on what type of surface you are painting. Ask one of the reps at the store, they are always more than happy to help. I would suggest using a 1 or 2 inch angle brush for the trim.
I have painted my interior. I have used Home Depot paint. Eggshell Behr is the brand, excellent paint. Anyone working in the area should be able to help you with the accessories to paint with. There are different rollers to cover surfaces. If you have orange peel texture you should get a semi-smooth roller


Hope this helps.
Lowes will have everything you need. Valspar is good paint. Usually the rule of thumb with brushes is the more expensive they are the better quality bristle they will have, you want a bristle that is soft and pliable, I would guess a good brush will run you around $18, as far a rollers the same theory applies, get something with a medium nap that says i coat coverage. I would get yourself an edger also, there worth there weight in gold. I would also stay away from the paint in the handle deals.Hope this helps
Valspar is a good paint to use, as for brushes you want to use a 21\2 inch sash brush (angled brush) the Wooster brand is the best for cutting in and for doing trim. If you use oil base paint for your trim be sure to buy a brush made for oil paint. As for the roller pads use the lambs wool roller covers


these may be more expensive but give your paint job a smoother surface when done and they will last 4 times as long as the cheeper roller pads. Dont waste your money on the paint sticks....they dont work.
  • human hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment