Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can I apply plaster to a wall with a paint roller instead of the typical trowel technique?

I am plastering over wood paneling in my family room. As instructed, I have already sanded the entire surface to rough it up a bit and I have primed it with a primer made to adhere to wood surfaces. I have also taped all of the gaps and holes in the wood paneling with mesh tape to give the plaster something to grab onto. Since I will be plastering a very large area, I want to know if I can apply it with a paint roller to save time, or if i have to use a trowel for the entire room. A paint roller would certainly save a lot of time. Thank You!Can I apply plaster to a wall with a paint roller instead of the typical trowel technique?
It would have been easier, and quicker to screw on plaster boards and skim it, than to do what you have already done. And to answer the original question, no. Plaster can't be applied with a roller. Or, more precisely, it can't be applied properly with a roller. I'm assuming you want the final finish to be smooth? If you do, then I'm afraid a float is your only answer. Or, get in a plasterer.Can I apply plaster to a wall with a paint roller instead of the typical trowel technique?
Why Plaster? Joint compound/MUD is what I would use. Get it pre-mixed in a tub. Put some in a paint pan and get the paint roll full and try to get it even on the wall. Wait 10 to 20 minutes, depending on temperature, and go over the surface with a very wide sheet rock joint trowel or mason trowel to flatten down the peaks. Put the roller in freezer for another day.
If you use a paint roller, you will have a lot of trouble getting the plaster even, and the wouldn't come off of the roller, onto the wall

No comments:

Post a Comment