Thursday, February 25, 2010

Foam paint rollers are they the same?

I just had a look at screwfix website and they got 2 different brands of 4'; foam rollers, the harris ones are 拢3.99 for 10 and the stanley ones are 拢6.89 for 10, as the price is a bit of a difference what is the difference between the 2 and what ones would be best to buy.Foam paint rollers are they the same?
Screwfix are good, but if there is ever anything made or cr*p quality screwfix will be selling it.





Pile rollers let you apply paint more thickly, which is good for protection, but thicker paint means a comparatively rougher finish. I use foam rollers and I overstretch the paint, which means I have to do more coats to get the thickness, but my finish can be perfectly flat, depending how extreme I am in stretching the paint out. So for fine kitchen cabinets I use foa rollers and for the rougher work I use pile.





Most paint cannot dry if it cannot get air. So if you are using oil-based paint you can wrap your roller in food bags (no air) overnight for a few nights, but never try to clean them, just throw them away. You can wash out those with water based paints.





Better than foam roller are a kind of flock roller, often orange in colour, but they don't last long with oil-based paints.





You will generally get better results with oil-based paints.





Although there must be some poor quality foam rollers out there, both Harris and Stanley should be ok.Foam paint rollers are they the same?
Personally, I like the old fashioned woolly rollers more than the foam ones for painting most things. They hold more paint and get into the little imperfections on the wall for better coverage. They also put a heavier coat of paint on the wall, so the finish is more consistent and takes less coats. I would only use a foam roller for a small project or for priming.
Get the cheaper ones. Lets face it if they're cheap enough, you can throw them away once you've used them rather than the hassle of cleaning them. You'll never get the paint fully out of them anyway
Foam ones dont cover all the wall they leave these little patchs





the matrial ones cover the lot ^^
I would go for the cheaper ones as I would never use them again. You never seem to get all the paint out of a roller. I use paint pads nowadays. They aren't so messy.
I paint all the time and personally I would go for the cheaper. I prefer to replace my rollers completely everytime I paint anyways. It is almost impossible to clean a roller!
  • human hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment